As the Northeast prepares for the second winter storm in a week, department of transportation offices are announcing over-dimensional travel restrictions and limited hours.
Travel restrictions, specifically oversize travel and movement, will be restricted in NYC as the storm is expected to bring 5 to 9 inches of snow.
According to the NYC Department of Transportation (DOT) office, all over-dimensional travel will be restricted from 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 7 until 10 a.m. on Thursday, March 8, and no movement will be allowed.
NYC also stated that any oversize load applications already issued for Wednesday, March 7 will be voided. Applications can be changed for Thursday, March 8 as long as the permit office is notified.
The state of Maryland DOT also released a notification warning of strong winds, snow and coastal flooding. The state is not restricting oversize travel, but did warn that entire routes should be checked and reminded that all oversize load permits is subject to weather and road conditions.
Pennsylvania (PennDOT) banned travel for the below beginning at midnight on Wednesday, March 7. It is not known when the travel ban will be lifted.
- Trailers pulled by passenger vehicles
- Empty straight trucks
- Large combination vehicles
- Tractors hauling empty trailers
- Motorcycles and recreational vehicles (RVs)
New York State Governor Cuomo issued a Travel Advisory from 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 7 that bans all tractor trailers, tandem trailers, buses, box trucks and other high profile vehicles. The restrictions are in effect for several roadways, including:
- NY State Thruway from Exit 36 (Syracuse) to the New York City line, including the Berkshire Spur to the Massachusets State Line, I-95, Garden State Parkway Connector and I-297.
- I-88 from Binghamton to Albany
- I-81 from Pennsylvania line to the New York State Thruway
- Route 17 Binghamton to I-84
- I-84 from the Connecticut State Line to the Pennsylvania State Line
- I-684 from I-84 to I-287
Weather Watch & Warnings
Officials and news sites are reporting more updates to general safety and travel restrictions, including winter storm warnings and road closures as the storm draws closer. Check here for continued updates on Winter Storm Quinn.
Medallion Transport is Here to Help
Ace Heavy Haul’s Safety Team is committed to driver safety. For questions about safety and how Ace works with its owner-operators, give us a call at (918) 234-2400 or send an email to email@example.com.